St. John's Wort (Hypericum Perforatum Clusiaceae) is full-spectrum, standardized potency containing guaranteed levels of 0.3% hypericin (the same potency that produced such excellent results in clinical studies) as well as pseudohypericin, and hyperforin, another important active that benefits people with depression and works synergistically with hypericin.
Studies show that people taking St. John's Wort have fewer feelings of sadness and hopelessness and they sleep better, without the side effects common to antidepressant drugs.
St. John's Wort is antibacterial and antiviral and ointments made with St. John's Wort have been used for centuries to treat burns, bites and other wounds. The antiviral activity is being studied as a treatment for HIV infection, and experimental studies show that hypericin and pseudohypericin exhibit strong antiviral activity against herpes simplex virus types 1 and 2 and influenza virus types A and B.
Other applications for St. John's Wort include treatment of sleep disorders, eating disorders, anxiety disorders, bed-wetting, PMS, chronic tension headaches.
- Natural support for anxiety and depression
- Helps relieve some PMS symptoms
- Promotes a restful sleep
- Has antiviral activity
- Headache relief
Each capsule contains:
St. John’s Wort (Hypericum perforatum L.) (aerial)..................300 mg
Standardized to contain 0.3% hypericin (900 mcg per capsule)
Take 1 to 3 capsules per day, in divided doses, preferably between meals, or as directed by a health care practitioner. For therapeutic use. Keep out of the reach of children.
- St. John's Wort extract has been shown to reduce the blood levels the drug digoxin (Lanoxin®). Consult a health care practitioner prior to use.
- Theoretically, St. John's Wort extract may potentiate prescription antidepressant and anti-anxiety drugs.
- There is one case report of simultaneous use of St. John's Wort and paroxetine (Paxil®) producing nausea, fatigue, lethargy, and weakness.
- Do not use St. John's Wort if you are taking a prescription antidepressant or anti-anxiety drug without consulting a qualified health care practitioner first.
Children: Generally regarded as suitable for children at one-half the adult dosage.
Pregnancy and Nursing: As the effects of St. John's Wort during pregnancy and lactation have not been sufficiently evaluated, it should not be used during these times.
Seniors: No special precautions are known.